Click here to make friends with Nic Peterson (just do it).
First, shout out to nic peterson, who came up with this… find him, follow him. He’s good. Link in show notes…
1. There is a gap between all of the things we know we should be doing and the things we are actually doing consistently every day…
2. It’s very easy to go deep on this topic, talk about all the reasons WHY this happens or HOW it happens and research strategies for overcoming it and beating it… but isn’t that just exacerbating the problem? Giving MORE things to do and think about, taking even MORE time from the things we know we should be doing?
3. Bumpers is all about how to actually DO more things we should be doing consistently…
4. CAVEAT – this is not a magic pill. At the end of the day YOU are in charge of actively changing your behavior in a way that will invite more favorable circumstances. You have to decide these things are actually important to you…
5. Let’s dive in…
6. Concept 1 – a good life lived is not one that successfully dealt with problems that presented themselves but one that understood the things that mattered and accurately measured, managed, and appreciated those things…
7. This is where the idea of “bumpers” come into play. Like on a bowling alley, bumpers allow you to go after life 100% because you’ve created a mechanism to automatically keep your ball in the lane going toward the pins… (no idea why he used bowling! 🙂 )
remember, bumpers don’t exist to protect us from the world. they exist to protect us from ourselves.
8. This is where things get exciting and scary all at the same time… cause those bumpers you put up are only going to work if your pursuits stay aligned with your unique disposition and your life dreams and goals.
9. Step 1 – imagine your perfect day from start to finish… not what society thinks is perfect, or your friends, or your colleagues, or your family, or anyone… YOU.
You want my perfect day (as of writing this?)
10. One caveat… this isn’t your perfect day some day in the future when you are stupid rich and can sit on the beach all day drinking mai tais. This is your perfect day today. You have to work. You have to take care of the kids. You have to do certain things in your life. Think of the responsibilities you have and when you would want to do them and work that in…
11. Take five minutes and plot out your perfect day. YOUR perfect day…
12. Your goal now is to make your current life that perfect day, meaning you make choices and plans with others based on that perfect day.
13. Everything is now going to be perfect. Episode over… or not. This isn’t going to be easy. In fact, it’s going to be hard. But the way to get there is to have reasonable expectations. And the expectation you need to ingrain is to just be better today than you were yesterday. Just win the day you are in right now…
14. Step 2 – determine the non-negotiables in your life. Now that you know what you want your life to look like, irrespective of money, it’s time to come up with the non-negotiables that will facilitate your perfect day becoming reality.
15. For example…
16. Now, write down a few non-negotiables… and remember, these are things you would be willing to go to the mats for… not some pushover shit.
17. Step 3 – create your bumpers…
18. Take a look at your past week and put everything in buckets according to the time spent for the entire week. Here are some good buckets: work/sleep/eating/family time. If you have any others feel free to add them. You should have a total of 168 hours when you are done.
19. Now take each of those buckets and average them out. If you are going to work 5 days a week divide your work hours by 5. If you are going to sleep every night, divide by 7, etc.
20. This is the part that you’re going to want to resist on, but just hear me out… take those averages and put them in your calendar. That’s right, the same amount every day. Here’s why…
you have the greatest chance for success over the longest period of time if you do the same thing in the same amount of time consistently (this is a topic for an entire podcast episode coming up). When you feel like shit, you do the things. When you feel great, you do the things, AND NO MORE unless you are willing to do them on the days you feel like shit.
when you look at it you’re going to want to adjust it… don’t. Just try it like this, spreading out across all the days, and see what happens.
Here’s how I’d do it. sleep goes in first. Then work. then eating. then family time. the rest if free time for you to fill up however you want.
The only thing I do extra is, if I know there are certain work tasks I want to do every day at a certain time, I’ll put those in. For example, I’m doing a facebook live every day. That’s inside of the work time specifically.
Here’s the key… when the things come up, you do them. No excuses. No questions. When you feel great it’s easy. When you don’t it sucks.
It will make you the most productive you’ve ever been, as even if you don’t consciously do anything, you’ll still have gotten a lot done.
21. Step 4 – moving forward make tiny adjustments every week or two weeks. For example, if you aren’t getting enough sleep, increase that time and decrease something else.
22. Something magical will happen – guilt, shame, and that uneasiness of the unknown will disappear. As long as you are inside the bumpers, everything is great.
23. Before we leave, two warnings…
First, communication is key. When you start doing this new stuff, people are going to notice, and they are going to be weirded out.
It’s important for you to communicate it to them in a way that helps them understand. This is most important for kids, wife, husband, the people that will see the shift (like you insisting on going to bed at 10 pm EVERY night and waking up at 5 am EVERY day).
Second, get rid of the arbitrary goals and arbitrary timelines. Focus on winning the day. Give yourself time to put in the work to get the results that you want.
That’s it… if you happen to be an inner circle member I’m teaching this in depth at our live workshop on June 28th. If you aren’t a member right now and want to come, email me and tell you how you can do that…
WIN MY 10 MOST INFLUENTIAL BOOKS! Leave a review and subscribe and enter to win my 10 most influential books.
[NOTE: I’m running this forever – what I’ll do is every once in a while do a drawing for every 25 new reviews I have. Enter!]
My Unconventional Philosophy:
– old school business
– modern day marketing
– antifragile mindset
My Unconventional Core Elements
How to find me out there in the world…
instagram = https://instagram.com/thechristophersmall
facebook = https://www.facebook.com/thechristophersmall/
iTunes = https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-unconventional-attorney/id1465832495
youtube = http://www.youtube.com/c/thechristophersmall
linkedin = https://linkedin.com/in/smallchristopher
If you got this far then kudos to you. I’m here to help. Click the link below to schedule a laser consulting session (i.e. I’ll break down your business and give you real ideas to move forward).